Spain is famously known for Paella, especially in the region of Valencia, where Paella is created. It’s a very special dish, it brings everyone together to the table and always creates beautiful memories. Loaded with Spanish flavours, it is very easy to make. Spanish people normally use a typical paella pan, but you can also use a large frying pan. The secret to a perfect paella are the high-quality ingredients. So prepare your self optimally for the perfect Paella!
Check out the recipe below.. make a delicious paella and show us by Facebook your creation!
-3 cloves garlic
-1/2 red bell pepper
-1 cleaned tube of squid
-1/3 cup extra virgin Spanish olive oil
-1/2 cup tomato puree
-1/2 tsp smoked paprika
-2 1/2 cups fish broth
-1 sachet Spanish saffron in powder form
-1 cup round rice
-12 raw jumbo shrimp (peeled and deveined)
-8 fresh mussels (debearded and cleaned)
- First you want to cut up all your ingredients, mince 3 cloves of garlic, dice 1/2 of an onion, dice 1/2 of a red bell pepper and cut 1 large cleaned tube of squid into small squares, also reserve 12 raw jumbo shrimp that have been peeled and deveined and 8 fresh cleaned mussels
- Heat a paella pan or large frying pan with a medium-high heat and add 1/3 cup of extra virgin Spanish olive oil, once the oil get’s hot season it with sea salt and add the cut squid into the pan, mix it around and cook for 2 minutes, then remove the squid from the pan and set it aside, add the onions and garlic into the pan and mix with the oil, after 1 minute add the red bell pepper, mix and cook for 3 minutes, then add 1/2 cup of tomato puree, season everything with a generous 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika, a generous pinch of sea salt and a hint of freshly cracked black pepper, continue to cook for 2 minutes, then add the squid back into the pan, add 2 1/2 cups of fish broth and the saffron, gently mix everything together
- Once the broth comes to a boil, add 1 cup of round rice to the pan and then gently distribute the rice throughout the pan with a wooden spoon, do not mix the rice, after 5 minutes of cooking add the shrimp and the mussels, cook for another 5 minutes and then lower the fire to a low-medium heat (do not mix the rice after this point, you can give the pan a quick shake once in a while)
- After simmering for 10 minutes and there is very little broth left, turn the fire back to a medium-high heat for 1 minute, this technique is to make the socarrat (burnt rice on the bottom of the pan), then turn off the heat, cover the paella pan completely and let it rest between 5-7 minutes
- Uncover the paella, garnish with freshly chopped parsley and a couple of lemon wedges
ps: you managed to make one? Post a picture to our Facebook page and #enjoymypaella and you can win a free night in Valencia!